ICT Team Leader.
Ayrshire College, Scotland
LANGuardian is used by some of the world’s leading universities and colleges to monitor and manage their networks’s performance and security. Customers include Trinity College Dublin, Ayrshire College, and Heriot Watt University. LANGuardian helps network engineers to address the specific system administration and network management challenges posed by campus networks.
There are several important differences between campus networks and corporate networks:
- Campus networks usually have very large numbers of users at a single location.
- The network tends to be used for leisure as well as network activities.
- Users have more freedom than corporate users – for example, in terms of allowed hardware, software, and mobile devices.
- Users are less aware of information security issues than users on corporate networks.
- Attacks from within the network are more common than in corporate networks.
These network characteristics typically lead to network issues such as bottlenecks, performance issues, copyright infringement, virus proliferation, and intrusions. LANGuardian gives the campus network engineer a single point of access to all the information that is needed identify and resolve these problems.
LANGuardian is widely used by customers in the education sector, including:
- Australian Catholic University
- Catholic University of America
- Durham University
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Heriot Watt University
- King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- London School of Economics
- Northumbria University
- Seven Oaks School Division
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Dublin
- University of Central Lancashire
- University of Gloucestershire
- University of Greenwich
- University of Ulster
Some of the reasons these universities selected LANGuardian include:
- No proxy, agents or clients – When you use a proxy server clients must be configured to ensure they are routed through the proxy. And a lot of traffic on the internet is no longer “proxyable”, or the proxy log is hard to interpret. LANGuardian monitors via the SPAN or TAP port and is not a proxy-based solution.
- User behaviour insight – LAN Guardian lets you drill down to see “who is doing what” in fine-grained detail. This helps you quickly identify users who are making inappropriate use of the network or who are accessing sites and resources that are off-limits.
- Bandwidth problem detection – LANGuardian can quickly pin-point the cause of poor network performance due to reduced bandwidth, down to the individual application, user or file. With the growth in video usage in particular, LANGuardian helps to identify any ‘bandwidth hogs’ that are reducing overall network performance.
- Speed – LANGuardian supports speeds greater than 1Gb per second
- Rock solid – Universities and colleges want a system that is stable and performs consistently under pressure.
- No impact on network performance – because LANGuardian monitors passively through SPAN ports there is no impact on network performance.
Find out more
If you have any questions about how LANGuardian can meet your requirements, please contact us. If you would like to see LANGuardian in action, please try our online demo system or download a free 30-day trial to try it on your own network with your own data.
Talk to us now
Talk to NetFort today. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +353 (91) 520 501.