Enhance your SolarWinds® implementation with LANGuardian
Deep-packet traffic analysis and integrated user information.
NetFort LANGuardian brings additional troubleshooting capability to your SolarWinds environment by providing instant access to packet level data, directly from SolarWinds NPM and SAM dashboards. LANGuardian is an ideal solution if you need that extra level of visibility provided by deep-packet inspection at critical points in your network.
LANGuardian is the one and only solution that integrates with SolarWinds products to provide root cause information about network and user activity that:
- Shows actual user and application names rather than IP addresses and port numbers
- Provides 100% accuracy with clickable graphics
- Works on any network of any size
- Provides total visibility into usage of key resources by both external and internal users of the network
Zero impact on your SolarWinds installation
LANGuardian is completely independent of the SolarWinds installation and has zero impact on it in terms of performance, security or data storage.
- Monitors activity using traffic from a SPAN port or network tap, no Netflow required.
- Deep Packet Inspection on packet contents provides much more detail and drill down than NetFlow.
- Is quick and easy to install – download and installation takes as little as 15 minutes.
- Can be installed on a standard server, VMware or Hyperv.
- Integrates with Active Directory to enable reporting and troubleshooting by user name.
- Stores rich network metadata in a high-performance database for over 30 days – ideal for network and user forensics.
- Accurately identifies over 1,300 protocols and applications. Provides deeper analysis into the most common applications and protocols including HTTP, Windows SMB, SQL, NFS, BitTorrent, and email.
- Detailed application bandwidth usage
Because it does not compress or summarize traffic data, LANGuardian can give you a detailed and accurate picture of bandwidth usage for any time period. You can measure traffic by user or by application, identify bandwidth hogs, see what sites they are accessing, and even see details of individual file downloads.
- Accurate Internet activity
Monitor Internet activity in detail with no configuration, whether access is direct, via a content delivery network (CDN), or via a proxy server. Reports available directly in the SolarWinds dashboard include top domains, top users, and bandwidth consumed.
- Network forensics
Analyze network events that happened some time previously, such as a file deleted on a windows file share or high bandwidth on a link. Instantly generate reports for management to support internal investigations, audits and capacity planning.
- Security and compliance
Detect malware on the network. Identify misuse of the network for piracy and excessive downloading. Comply with data security and privacy standards such as HIPAA and PCI. Detect users who try to circumvent network policy by using unauthorized proxy servers. Discover the extent of cloud usage, and whether sensitive corporate data is being stored in the cloud without authorization.
When a problem arises involving a user, an application, and the network, it is often very difficult to determine where the fault lies. LANGuardian traffic data embedded in a SolarWinds dashboard provides the detailed information that is needed to help you identify whether the user, the application, or the network is at fault.
- VPN congestion
When SolarWinds NPM raises an alert after detecting congestion on a VPN connection, you can drill down into the LANGuardian traffic data for the connection and identify the client, server, application or user that is causing the congestion.
“Solarwinds NPM is very good at giving us alerts on high bandwidth utilisation on a port or link, then we go to LANGuardian to get to the packet level detail, to figure out what is going on and understand exactly why the utilisation is high and who is causing it. The beauty of your product is in the detail.” – Public sector customer, Livingston, Scotland.
“We need greater insight over what is taking place on our internal network, systems, services, and external web farm – seen through a single SolarWinds dashboard or portal. We need to keep downtime to a minimum both internally and on our external customer-facing web farm. We chose LANGuardian because of its integration with SolarWinds and its deep-packet inspection capabilities.” – Retail customer, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA.
You can see LANGuardian integrated with SolarWinds on our online demo system, or click on the links below for some short video clips to see how it works.
- Is it the user, the network or the application? Find that smoking gun with NetFort and SolarWinds
- Troubleshoot slow server issues using SolarWinds SAM & NetFort LANGuardian
- Troubleshoot WAN or VPN issues using NetFort DPI data in SolarWinds views
If you already have SolarWinds environment, you can download LANGuardian and try it free for 30 days.
Together, SolarWinds products and LANGuardian give a complete picture of what’s happening on your network. You get device status from SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM), server and application status from Server and Application Monitor (SAM), and a high-level picture of overall network activity from NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA). LANGuardian adds a detailed breakdown of traffic by user, file, website or network share.
Adding LANGuardian to a SolarWinds environment is a cost-effective way to implement a complete network monitoring solution that combines a broad view of overall device and application status with detailed information about network activity at key locations:
- Use NPM to display information about the status of the devices connected to your network.
- Use SAM to display information about application performance, server hardware faults, and operating systems.
- Use NTA to collect NetFlow data from NetFlow-enabled devices for a high-level picture of overall network activity.
- Use LANGuardian to capture actual traffic packets at locations where it is critical to get more detail such as the Internet Gateway, remote sites, DMZ, Windows file shares, and devices that do not support NetFlow.
SolarWinds users see LANGuardian traffic data embedded directly in NPM, SAM or NTA dashboards. Users can monitor or troubleshoot a device or application in the normal SolarWinds way, then seamlessly drill down into the additional traffic data provided by LANGuardian – data that is invaluable when it comes to keeping your network at optimal performance or troubleshooting problems when they arise.
Seamless integration with SolarWinds
The LANGuardian Integration Pack for SolarWinds makes it very easy for you to integrate LANGuardian with the following SolarWinds products:
- Network Performance Monitor
- Server & Application Monitor
- NetFlow Traffic Analyzer
When you install the integration pack, it creates SolarWinds resources for common LANGuardian reports, and you can simply customize your SolarWinds pages to display these resources. You can also create additional SolarWinds resources to display LANGuardian custom reports. You can download the integration pack and detailed instructions from the Downloads section of our website.
Zero impact on your SolarWinds installation
Even when its data is integrated into SolarWinds dashboards, a LANGuardian installation is completely independent of the SolarWinds installation and has zero impact on it in terms of performance, security or data storage. The only impact is the custom resources that are added to the dashboard and which can easily be removed. In particular, LANGuardian traffic data is stored in the LANGuardian database, which is part of the LANGuardian system and in no way related to the SolarWinds database.
The LANGuardian Integration Pack for SolarWinds makes it very easy for you to integrate LANGuardian with SolarWinds NPM.
When you install the integration pack, it creates SolarWinds resources for common LANGuardian reports, and you can simply customize your SolarWinds pages to display these resources. You can also create additional SolarWinds resources to display LANGuardian custom reports.
Find out more
If you have any questions about how LANGuardian can meet your requirements, please contact us. If you would like to see LANGuardian in action, please try our online demo system or download a free 30-day trial to try it on your own network with your own data.
Talk to us now
Talk to NetFort today. Contact us at email@example.com or call us at +353 (91) 520 501.