SPAN Port Configurator Installation
The NetFort SPAN Port Configurator is a standalone Windows application. Extract the executable image from the zip file to a folder on your hard disk. Go to the folder and double-click the file NetFort-SPC.exe to launch the SPAN Port Configurator.
Using the SPAN Port Configurator
There are two steps in the configuration process:
- Select and log in to your switch.
- Configure and apply port settings.
Please note that when you apply settings to your switch using the NetFort SPAN Port Configurator, the changes are applied to the running configuration only. To apply the changes to the startup configuration, you must log on to the switch console and copy the running configuration to the startup configuration.
Cisco switches supported in this release
- Catalyst 6500 series
- Catalyst 4500 series
- Catalyst 3700 series
- Catalyst 3600 series
- Catalyst 3550 – Supports ingress and egress for ports; monitors only ingress for VLANs.
- Catalyst 2850 – Supports port monitoring only; no support for monitoring VLANs.
- Cisco Nexus platform
Configuring login access to Cisco switches
The NetFort SPAN Port Configurator configures your switch by logging in to it via telnet. Therefore, usernames must be configured on your switch. If they are not already configured, please follow these steps to configure them:
- Create the user database.Telnet to the switch and use the “username” command. The following example assigns privilege level 15 (administrator/superuser) access to user “admin”:
username admin priv 15 password cisco
- To tell each line (telnet session) to use these new user logins, you must go to each line and perform the login local command. The following example shows how to configure it from configuration mode:
line vty 0 4 login local
If you need help installing or using the NetFort SPAN Port Configurator, please ask a question in the NetFort discussion forum.
Find out more
If you have any questions about how LANGuardian can meet your requirements, please contact us. If you would like to see LANGuardian in action, please try our online demo system or download a free 30-day trial to try it on your own network with your own data.
Talk to us now
Talk to NetFort today. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +353 (91) 520 501.