What is LANGuardian?
LANGuardian captures and analyzes the traffic flowing through your network switch,
stores it in a database, and displays the details in a web browser.
Offering a depth of insight into network activity that is unmatched by products costing
ten times as much, LANGuardian helps network administrators
troubleshoot bandwidth issues right across the network,
perform network or user forensics on past events,
investigate activity on Windows file shares, and keep track of
user activity on the Internet.
LANGuardian offers three ways to access the traffic information in its database:
- Search – by username, IP address or subnet, file name, or web address.
- Dashboards – customizable pages that provide an overall view of network activity.
- Reports menu – built-in and custom reports with drilldown to the minutest level of detail.
You can get hands-on access to LANGuardian with our live demo or, to really appreciate what LANGuardian can do, download a free trial and try it on your own network.
The list of things you can do with LANGuardian is endless. Every customer finds unique ways to use it,
solving problems they cannot solve with other tools. Here are some examples:
- Finding out who deleted a file from a network share.
- Troubleshooting a congested Internet link and drilling down to identify the IP address and username of a user who was streaming
live TV to his computer.
- Troubleshooting a congested WAN link and identifying the cause as a misconfigured Windows image that was downloading updates
during working hours.
- Generating a report for the HR department of the amount of time a named user spent on social media sites.
- Generating a report for senior IT management of the amount of bandwidth consumed by YouTube traffic for a given month.
- Responding to copyright infringment notices by identifying users who were using BitTorrent to share copyrighted files over the
- Identifying the source of spam originating from the network, thereby averting the threat of having an organization's domain blacklisted by its ISP.
As well as viewing reports interactively in your web
browser, you can generate them in PDF for emailing and printing. You can also schedule reports to run at
any time and send you the output by email, and you can create alerts to notify you when thresholds have
been breached. You can even import LANGuardian data directly into Microsoft Excel. And, it integrates with
Windows and Active Directory, so you get reports that contain real user names instead of IP addresses.
How it works
LANGuardian is a software-only product that runs on industry-standard hardware and in most
virtualized environments. It has no impact on network performance because it connects to a monitoring
(SPAN) port on your switch. And there are no clients or agents to install because its analysis is based
on traffic data,
LANGuardian creates a database of historical traffic data that
you can use for advanced network troubleshooting and to meet your
auditing and compliance requirements. It gathers all its
information from the traffic flowing through your network. It supports
monitoring ports, NetFlow, and sFlow. You can also open and analyze pcap files
with LANGuardian. See the architecture page for a
detailed description of how it works.
More about network traffic monitoring
If you have any questions about how LANGuardian can meet your requirements, please contact us. If you would like to see LANGuardian network monitoring software in action, please try our online demo system or download a
free 30-day trial to try it on your own network with your own data.